Above is a photograph of part of a squash plant. The focus of the photograph is part of the plant that is new and growing.
An important aspect of this plant is timing. The photograph was taken in late November. There is a chance that temperatures will get cold enough in the near future, such that this plant will die. Although the plant is attempting to grow and have fruit, there is a reasonable chance that it will fail because of circumstances that it can’t control.
This idea can be a metaphor for situations in life and can be used in poetry. A poet could write about situations where a person makes an effort to accomplish something, but because of the timing and other circumstances, there is a high chance they will fail.
Some ideas a poet could write about are:
- A person gives a performance right after another person gave a great performance.
- A person is remodeling a building in a place where a hurricane is expected to hit.
- A person gets a job at a company that shortly thereafter announces there will be layoffs.
- A small business releases a product, and shortly thereafter a large company releases a similar one.
- A person is trying make a large meal, when the power goes out.