Today’s poetry topic idea is makeup. Makeup can inspire a number of poetry ideas. A poet could write about:
- Appearance. Makeup is meant to change, and generally improve, a person’s appearance. A poet could write about appearance and how makeup alters it. They could focus on before and after, societal ideas of appearance, self-worth, inner appearance vs. outer appearance, and other things.
- Masks. A poet could relate makeup to the idea of masks. They could write about things like a person changing how they act to reflect their appearance.
- Movies. Makeup is used in movies. A poet could write about characters, roles, and how an actor can appear different with the use of makeup.
- Hiding. Makeup can be used to hide things such as aging, blemishes, tiredness, and so forth. A poet could write about this and expand on the idea of hiding.
- Beauty. Makeup can be related to beauty. A poet could write about beauty and approach it from different perspectives.
Here is a poem inspired by makeup:
there were black and white movies,
and none thought
that something was lacking.
and movies were glowing
and all of a sudden
black and white movies,
didn’t seem the same.
Once something has been added,
the previous situation,
which seemed sufficient,