Today’s poetry topic idea is sugar. A poet could write about sugar in a number of ways. A poet could write about:
- Blood sugar. A poet could write about low blood sugar, high blood sugar, diabetes, and other conditions. They could write about what different conditions are like and what it is like to have them.
- Sweetness. A poet could write about things being sweet. They could look at sweetness from a taste perspective and as a description for how a person acts (e.g. a person did something sweet).
- The idea of an unwritten sound in a word. In the word sugar, there is an “h” sound that is not written. The word is pronounced “shugar”. A poet could explore this idea, look at other words with similar sounds, and use it as a metaphor for other things.
- Foods and drinks that taste sweet.
- Sugar itself. A poet could explore different forms of sugar and sugar as a chemical compound.
Here is an example poem:
little white crystals
they entice the eyes
with their sparkle and form
but they lead astray
down a path of pain
if the mouth does take
all that the eyes desire