Today’s poetry topic idea is sugar. A poet could write about sugar in a number of ways. A poet could write about:
- Blood sugar. A poet could write about low blood sugar, high blood sugar, diabetes, and other conditions. They could write about what different conditions are like and what it is like to have them.
- Sweetness. A poet could write about things being sweet. They could look at sweetness from a taste perspective and as a description for how a person acts (e.g. a person did something sweet).
- The idea of an unwritten sound in a word. In the word sugar, there is an “h” sound that is not written. The word is pronounced “shugar”. A poet could explore this idea, look at other words with similar sounds, and use it as a metaphor for other things.
- Foods and drinks that taste sweet.
- Sugar itself. A poet could explore different forms of sugar and sugar as a chemical compound.
Here is an example poem:
little white crystals
they entice the eyes
with their sparkle and form
but they lead astray
down a path of pain
if the mouth does take
all that the eyes desire
Above is an artwork of parsley. It can inspire poetry. Here is a poem inspired by it:
mixed with bulgur
and lemon juice
Above is a photograph of mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and shrimp with oyster sauce served over rice. It is food as art. It can inspire poetry. Here is a poem inspired by it:
There was supposed to be
but someone said,
“Eat something else.”
What to do,
with the vegetables
with a candy cane
tasty and effective
Above is a photograph of a budding grape leaf. It can inspire poetry. Here is a poem inspired by it:
it’s opening day
will anyone stop over?
there are good dolmas …
a crate of canned vegetables
no can opener
bought from the store –
How do you cook these?
compró de la tienda –
¿Cómo usted cocina éstos?
Today’s poetry topic idea is gossip. There are different ways a poet could use gossip in poetry. A poet could write about:
- People gossiping about the poet. They could write about what they could say, how they would say it, and what the poet would feel.
- People gossiping about some third person. A poet could write about people gossiping about someone other than the poet. Again, they could write what they could say, how they would say it, and what the person they are talking about would feel.
- The effects of gossip.
- Celebrity gossip. A poet could write about this from different perspectives. They could write about celebrities, the gossipers, and the people consuming the gossip.
- The truth or falseness of gossip.
- Themselves gossiping. A poet could write a poem where they gossip. Rather than doing harmful gossip though, the poet could focus on the effects of their gossip. They could view it remorsefully.
- Nonhuman objects or beings gossiping. A poet could write a poem where animals gossip. They could write a poem where objects gossips (e.g. the romance book on a shelf gossiping about a science fiction book on another shelf).
Here is an example poem using the idea of gossip:
Did you hear about Ham?
He dumped Cheddar for Swiss.
That’s not all,
he was seen with Colby.
has plagued dieters for too long!
ha atormentó gentes que se ponen a regimen para muy mucho!
the elephants dance,
inside the stomach,
too much food
los elefantes bailan,
dentro del estómago,
Note: There will be no new blog posts on the blog December 29, 2018 – January 1, 2019. The next new blog post will be on January 2, 2019. Happy New Year!