Today’s poetry topic idea is fences. There are a number of things a poet could write about in relation to fences. A poet could look at the idea of:
- Fences as barriers. They could look at the idea of keeping something out or keeping something in. They could examine the idea of fences around houses, industrial areas, prisons, or other things.
- Separation. They could examine the idea of groups being separated by a fence. They could examine what it means to be on one side of a fence or another.
- Fences as protection. They could write from the perspective of protecting those on the inside of a fence or from the perspective of protecting those on the outside of a fence. They could write about the protected or about whatever the protected are being protected from.
- Fences as a metaphor. They could write about a person putting up a metaphorical fence between themselves and others. They could examine the idea of the person hiding something or being fearful or having other emotions.
- Building fences. They could examine the labor involved. They could focus on the process, the workers, or those having the fence built.